R. U. Sirius

"Is there a fringe? By the mid-90's, it became increasingly clear to me that 'fringe culture' - culture jamming, pranks, extreme types of performance, the whole cultural guerilla matrix had turned into a form of entertainment for sophisticated urbanites, for Time magazine and Wired magazine readers who may, in fact, be quite conservative but can enjoy a spot of Negativland for thier media dessert. I believe the quest for the fringe has now been reformatted as 'outsider art' and that seems to involve mostly people operating at a level of naivete that borders on retardation (I don't necessarily mean that as a put down and I don't necessarily mean to apply that to everyone who has been roped into the genre)... that too is dessert for cultural consumers.
"So I guess, forget the fringe..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home